Saturday, February 5, 2011

Ice Break 2011




View from front of our house.

Who would have thought that we'd be out of school for 4 days! I thought we'd get cabin fever and kill each other but nothing out of the ordinary bickering between sisters. We enjoyed having Dad "work" from home on Tuesday and Friday. I don't know how much work he got done with us around. But I liked that he didn't have to drive downtown everyday. I cannot remember a time in the 20+ years that my family has lived in Texas that winter weather has ever been around for so many days. We get a day or two off of school but never 4!

We did a lot of free play - which is probably what the girls spent most their time doing. They never asked to watch TV or movies. We only watched one movie a day which was a shocker to me - I thought the TV would be on quit a bit. Abby did some homework and piano practicing. We made lots of treats, did crafts, cleaned the house and played games. And of course, we went outside twice to play in the snow. It's been nice to hang out and not have to go anywhere. We've had yummy breakfasts every morning since there was time to bake and cook. Sleeping in until 7:30 - extra nice for mom.


hot chocolate cookies - recipe found here

Valentine craft found here - just changed from leaves to hearts

Todd did make it into work on Wed. and Thurs. I had him stop off for milk one night coming home. He said the grocery store was all out - they didn't get any shipments in. He was smart enough to go to the nearby gas station and get us a gallon to make it through the rest of the week. We ventured out as a family this morning to go to Wal-Mart to restock. There is still lots of ice on the road and I cannot believe how fast and close some of these drivers are going on the road! I'm fine staying at home.

Being stuck at home reminds me of 8 years ago when Todd and I were first married. We had a huge ice storm come through Texas and all the freeways and roads were closed. Semi trucks were stuck on the roads for 2 days. Todd didn't have to go into work and either did I. One of the Harry Potter books just came out and Todd and I were fighting over reading it.

I hope the girls will remember, down the road, the good times we had during these past several days at home and being together as a family.

Catching snowflakes

Working hard on building a snow fort- her tongue is even sticking out in concentration.
Snow deep enough to cover Kaitlyn's boot.
Cutie!

Checking out the different snowflake designs.

cold face

4 comments:

mom yost said...

How exciting and what fun you have had. I'll have to come down one winter and hope for snow, maybe it would just be better to come when there is no school. We love you all! Have a great day.
Love Grandma

Susie said...

You get lots of mommy points for making such fun memories with your girls. Love the pics!

Lindsie said...

I'm just impressed that you had winter gear for the girls! It is amazing how snow can shut a place down if they aren't used to getting it. No snow plows etc. Crazy!

Dara Porter said...

What?! No props to me on the "Valentine craft?"
I think we sent the girls hearts like that a few years ago? Hmmmmm........