Because of the TV writers strike I've not turned on the tube at night. Nothing new to see. (Except I'm very excited that LOST returns tomorrow night!!!) Once the girls are in bed I usually unwind by watching a show however, since there's nothing on in my opinion, I read. I have read a lot this month at night and also at the gym. I finished 4 books, two of them being over 400 pages. I haven't read so much since college when it was required for a Children's Lit. class. I decided to post my reviews of these books since many of you are readers yourself.
Women of the Silk by Gail Tsukiyama (author's first book): This was about a young girl, Pei, who is "sold" to the silk factory at the age of 8 to earn money for her poor family. The story covers about 20 years of Pei's life with the silk workers where Pei finds strength and friendship in their sisterhood. The setting is in 1920's China. It was an interesting look at the hard life the girls lead and how they became a family to each other. It was a quick read -250 pages and had some interesting topics to discuss (it was our book club book). It could have used a little more character development and maybe another chapter for the ending. I'd give it 3.5 stars out of 5.
Sarah's Quilt by Nancy Turner: This is a sequel to the book "These is my Words" (one of my favorite books). This is loosely based on the author's great grandmother's life set in early Arizona. Sarah is faced with many challenges in this book: her ranch is in a drought, her neighbor wants to marry her, someone's poisoning her water hole, her two boys have left college and come home, and much more. This was a good continuation of the first book. I just love Sarah, her strength and determination through all her trials. I give this 4 out of 5.
Austenland by Shannon Hale: This is just a fun book. I already wrote about it in a post below. This is not a book for literary discussions, it has it's flaws. This is one to just have a good time reading on a rainy day. I'd give it 5 out of 5 for pure enjoyment.
19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult: This is the third book by this author that I have read. I liked the other two much better ("My Sister's Keeper" and "Plain Truth"). I couldn't put the other two books down but, this one I could and come back to it later. Maybe it was the subject. This is about a young boy who is bullied throughout his life. One day he's had enough and shoots up his high school killing 10 and wounding 19. The book does some flashbacks to show you what lead up to the shooting and gives great character development. The author does get you in the mind of the shooter and what happened that day. Jodi Picoult uses the same formula on this book as she has on the others I've read: something major is happening, there's some trial/lawyer involved, someone falls in love, and there's a twist at the end. I would recommend the other two books of hers that I read over this. There is some strong language in here that I thought was a little over the top. I give it 3.5 out 5.
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
thanks for the suggestions, I too have noticed that I am reading a lot more - it's that or watch soap operas! I did finally read Twilight, I think I remember you had read that. Now I just need to get the others to finish the series. IN the mean time I am reading the Atonement...
i love getting book ideas! thanks for posting those.
I just started " My Sister's Keeper". How funny.
Yeah for reading!! I hope to get LOTS done in the upcoming months. :)
Thanks for the book recommendations! I just finished "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer and that was fascinating. I haven't totally given up on TV, however... I've gotten hooked on The Biggest Loser and American Idol.
Thanks for the Book Recos! Now that I have to commute on the train, I have much more time designated for reading! Plus, I hate reality TV, so I need something to fill the void TV left in my life!
Last night I read Austenland and ABSOLUTELY loved it!! It was such a cute book, easy read, and so funny!!
Post a Comment