Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day 3- Shark Diving

View from the back patio
Building castles
Mummy Abby

This morning started out with a few hours building sand castles at the beach and riding the waves. We spotted a turtle floating not too far out but each time we went out to find it, it was gone. Abby was loving that she could snorkel and Olivia and Kaitlyn were busy building castles and digging holes. We needed to start packing up and head back to the home for lunch so Todd and I could go diving in the afternoon. There was an outdoor shower next to one of the pools and we headed there to rinse the kids off.

As I was walked in the back with Olivia, we had to walk down several concrete stairs to get to the pool. I was in front and turned around for Olivia when she then pointed off to the distance to ask what something was and then tumbled headfirst down the stairs. It was a scary sight and I can still see it in my mind. I was afraid she cracked her forehead open. We were lucky that it was just a big scratch down the front of her face. I quickly picked her up and rushed her back to the home to give her a warm bath and clean her up. After thirty minutes of hugs and cuddling she was doing just fine.
Ouch!

Todd and I were getting ready to do our first diving since we got certified two years ago. We had been diving before (Cozumel and The Great Barrier Reef) but now we were finally going on some bigger dives being certified. Our dives today were going to be shark dives. We heard that this is one of the things to do in the Bahamas so we thought we'd try it out.

We were both a bit nervous at first but our training came back to us and everything went smoothly. Our first dive was around a couple ship wrecks and there were about 6 sharks swimming around us. We also saw a pretty large stingray. It was good to get back in the water again.

Our second dive was the shark feeding. We were holding onto the railing of a sunken ship on the outside. Todd and I were both hit many times by the sharks as they swam right next to us. There were about 25-30 sharks in all and it was pretty cool to be that close. We had specific instructions so our risks of getting bit were brought down. The worst part was that we were cold in our wet suits. We weren't swimming around so it got cold towards the end. The dive master led the sharks away at the end with the bait and then we were able to search the top of the boat for shark teeth. I found 2! Great souvenirs!

Todd and I -second from the right - he has yellow goggles



1 comment: