Monday, May 24, 2010

Blast Off!



Several months ago when Todd and I heard that there were only going to be a few more shuttle launches from NASA we decided we wanted to go see one. I guess you can say it was something on our "bucket list". Todd's parents were going to join us but they had mechanical problems with their plane and were unable to meet us for the launch. Which was a bummer.

We left our hotel early that morning because our note said to arrive by 9:00. Google maps said it would take an hour to get there. When I double checked with the bell men at the front desk, they kind of laughed at me at told me to expect a 3 hour drive. I thought they were kidding. Apparently we went to the largest shuttle viewing to date. As we got closer to the Space Center traffic crawled to 5 mph. At least I had a book to read and going that slow I wasn't going to get car sick.

There were people everywhere and it was hot! Because we had several hours to kill before take off we were able to explore.

In front of Explorer

the girls now want to be astronauts


The Mercury Spacecraft. The plaque said that once all the controls were installed it was like "going into space in a small bathtub." (Gordon Cooper Faith 7)



Gemini 7 - Frank Borman and Jim Lovell spent 14 days in this spacecraft and made 206 orbits. It was so cramped they couldn't stretch out their legs. Claustrophobia anyone?



And of course, the main thing we went to see was the shuttle take off. There was a lot of excitement from the crowd, cheering and clapping. We met people who came from Australia to watch- the lady was nice enough to hold Kaitlyn up to see over the crowd. We were about 5 miles away, or was it 7? It was pretty loud and it happened fast. It was cool to see and I hope my girls have opportunities in the future to take their children. Who knows, maybe by then everyday people can take a ride into space just for fun. (video coming soon)

Space Shuttle Atlantis on it's final voyage.


4 comments:

Trudy said...

How awesome! I'm sure this is something the girls will never forget.

Katie said...

So glad you made it--what an awesome experience, and you got to do Disney as well. Cool!

Melissa said...

Very cool! Something to never forget.

Dara Porter said...

Something I took completely for granted when I was little (remember seeing the "lift offs" on t.v.) What a different world this will be (in many ways) for our kids.
Perfect timing to lock this in their memory.