Broken arm
Nice droop in the arm.
We have made our first ER trip with one of our kids. Abby had soccer practice Sat. afternoon and with 15 minutes left of practice, she tripped, fell, and broke her right arm. Todd was luckily at the practice and quickly scooped her up and took her to the nearby emergency clinic. I think I would have freaked out and not handled the situation as well as he did.
I met up with Todd and Abby at the clinic while Abby was getting her IV needle to get some pain meds. Poor girl was screaming quite loudly. Broke my heart to see her in that pain. Once the pain medicine took effect she fell asleep. A couple hours later, they gave her a fiber glass splint and wrapped her arm well and sent us home. We'll be going in Monday or Tuesday to get her cast on.
Hurting

Ahhh, the pain medicine has kicked in.
Ahhh, the pain medicine has kicked in.
She was in a lot of pain during the night and we had to give her some strong medicine. Todd stayed up with her until it kicked in. He made her as comfortable as possible on the couch with her arm elevated. We are icing it and keeping it elevated to keep the swelling down. I felt so useless to her during the night when she was crying. I just wanted to take the pain from her. Todd has done a great job being the Dr/nurse/helper/and a great comforter to Abby. Abby is taking this quite well and is doing a good job using her left hand.
Some of the comments Abby has made:
In the car on the way to the ER clinic: "I want to go home. I want mommy! I want a Dr. to fix this!"
"[My fingers] won't move."
At the clinic when the Dr. was going to give her medicine with the IV, she snuggled up and said, "I don't want anything on my body."
"My arm is sick, it's broken."
12 comments:
I hope, Abby will get better soon. It breaks my heart when I read it.
Oh, I am dreading that day that will inevitably happen -- the first ER trip. But at least you made it 5 years! Hope your arm feels better soon, Abby!
So sorry Abby! I haven't dealt with broken bones yet. I can't imagine.
Oh poor Abby! That's so sad!
Awwww! Heal quickly, Abby!
Yikes, I would be freaking out if my arm looked like that! That is just the saddest looking thing! I'm glad that her meds are helping. Poor thing. I hope she's feeling a little better today.
That is a sad post!! I'm dreading the day that one of my kids' breaks a bone. We went to the ER this weekend too - not fun.
So sorry this happened to sweet Abby! When Hunter broke his leg he was screaming and crying- they gave hime a "cocktail" of drugs for pain and about 15 minutes later he turned to me and said "Hey- how come I'm not crying anymore? " :) Hope her pain meds keep her happy until you get the cast on! Call if you need anything!
Poor thing! I hope she gets better quickly!
Dear Abby,
I hope your arm feels better soon. I hope you feel better by Tuesday. I will miss you at school today. I want to see your cast. Can you come over tomorrow?
Spencer
that is the saddest picture ever! i can totally feel her pain!!!
way to be a trooper abby! love ya girl.
My goodness, I am glad to hear she is oK, but what an ordeal. I hope it all heals well and that you are surviving as well.
Post a Comment