On our drive home from Idaho, as we were climbing in elevation over the mountains, my fingers started to swell. I knew that driving through the mountains this would happen so I brought my ring box with me so if I needed to take off my wedding rings I'd have a safe place to put them without them getting lost.
Within the first couple hours home I took both my engagement ring and wedding band off and put them in the box. The ring in the slot and my band over the top. I then put it in the glove box for safe keeping because who would guess a wedding ring would be in a glove box?
When we got home my hands were so full of other things I just told myself I'd get my rings later. Well, I drove the van the rest of the week and never sat in the passenger seat so I didn't think too much of the rings. Friday came and I took the van in to get detailed after a 3,000 mile trip. This was the only time the van was out of my sight and it was for 45 minutes. Still it didn't dawn on me that my rings were in the glove box.
Sunday came around and I was having a rough morning with my of my children who will remain nameless. She was pushing it and I was at the end of my rope. Todd was at some meeting so when he came home and we were getting ready to leave I thought, "I should put my wedding rings back on." I went to the car and came back in and opened the box. I was so sick to my stomach when I looked inside - there was no diamond engagement ring. My band was in there but not the ring worth money. To put it lightly, I lost it. That sent me over the edge!
I was mad at myself for leaving it in the car but I knew right away where it was taken - the car wash. Todd said to leave it until tomorrow morning to call the police. All of Sunday I was just sick to my stomach and we were having a family birthday party for Abby and I had a hard time keeping it together.
Early Monday morning I called the police and they sent an officer over to take a statement. They then were going to turn it over to a detective. The officer did go by the car wash place to tell them what was happening and that they'd be investigating and if the person was caught it would be jail time. Later Monday I received a call from the car wash manager and he expressed there would be no way any of his employees would take the ring. He thought I was out for the insurance money. Ha! Insurance would only cover $500 worth.
By Wednesday morning I received a call from the detective who stated they were going to start questioning people at the car wash now that they have a list of employees. I asked if he wanted to finger print the box and he laughed saying that TV makes that look easy but it ruins everything it touches. I thought the ring was long gone and there was no hope. I had been surfing Craigslist and Ebay to see if it would pop up in hopes to catch the person.
Wednesday afternoon I was heading to the store and got another call from the detective. They found my ring but wanted to make sure it was mine. I quickly came home and was shaking that it might be it. It was! The story they told me was that an employee found it on the ground, thought it was a child's ring and put it in lost and found. The manager called me later and said that one of the high power vacuums must have pushed it out of the car. Right! Out of the ring box, out of the glove box, onto the ground. Likely story. I think the person caught wind of the investigation and made up the story so he wouldn't be caught. Oh well, I have my ring back which I thought would never happen.
Sunday, September 22, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So glad you got it back. What a stressful experience, and kind of amazing that you recovered it!
Post a Comment